Arcturus Therapeutics Ltd., headquartered in San Diego, is a publicly traded (NASDAQ: ARCT) nucleic acid medicines company with enabling technologies – UNA Oligomer chemistry and LUNAR® lipid-mediated delivery. Arcturus’ versatile delivery technology can be applied toward multiple types of nucleic acid medicines, including messenger RNA, small interfering RNA, replicon RNA, antisense RNA, microRNA, DNA, and gene editing therapeutics. Arcturus owns LUNAR lipid-mediated delivery and Unlocked Nucleomonomer Agent (UNA) technology including UNA Oligomers, which are covered by its extensive patent portfolio. Arcturus’ commitment to the development of novel therapeutics has led to partnerships with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical, Inc., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Synthetic Genomics Inc., CureVac AG, and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics Inc.
We are presently recruiting outstanding candidates with experience in the field of RNA technologies and lipid-mediated delivery. Only exceptional applicants need apply. Compensation and equity position is commensurate. Please email your resume to Careers@ArcturusRx.com
Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering
Arcturus is seeking a (Senior) Scientist of Protein Engineering who will be responsible for leading protein design/engineering projects. This is a highly integrated role and the successful candidate will be responsible for design and conduction of protein engineering experiments with the goal of creating new molecular functions for proteins of interest. Extensive experience with phage display, mRNA display or similar molecular evolution-based approaches is essential to support drug development programs in the disease areas. S/he will lead high functioning internal project teams, to generate quality data enabling good decision making.
- Implementation of directed evolution to evolve new molecular functions for proteins of interest using error prone PCR, DNA shuffling, and directed engineering approaches
- Generations of designs and random protein libraries
- Development high-throughput in vitro assays to characterize engineered proteins
- Preparation of reports and present data
- Support business development efforts and IP development
- PhD in molecular biology, protein engineering, biochemistry, or related field with 2-5 years post graduate experience in either or both academic and industrial setting
- Demonstrated success with multiple directed evolution platforms such as phage display, yeast display, and/or mRNA display technologies is a must
- Strong experience with structure-based protein design
- Expertise in protein expression and purification techniques is a plus
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving and program management
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Ability to provide expert guidance in designing and implementing project plans
- Highly self-motivated, proactive, and collaborative
Scientist I or Senior Research Associate, Formulation/Process Development
The Scientist I/ Senior Research Associate, Formulation/Process Development will focus on design, development, scale-up, manufacturing, and characterization of nucleic acid formulations to support an emerging research pipeline focused on treating rare diseases. Experience with nanoparticle production and purification processes including but not limited to tangential flow filtration (TFF – UF/DF) is highly desired.
The Scientist I/ Senior Research Associate will be doing the following work (but not limited to) under supervision:
- Design, development, and production of nucleic based formulations including complex nanoparticle formulations
- Process development , scale-up and technology transfer of multiple formulations, including supporting activities at CMO(s)
- Performing formulation stability studies including but not limited to pilot stability studies with proposed drug product configuration, contact material compatibility and stability study, in-use compatibility study, accelerated stability studies, etc.
- Preparation and characterization of dose formulations for various in vitro and in vivo studies
- Perform process related investigations, identify root causes of process/manufacturing discrepancies, evaluate systems for trends and adverse findings, and implementing appropriate steps to ensure process robustness
- Maintain proper documentation of all experimental procedures and results, including batch records, protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other manufacturing related documentation
- Prepare technical reports and presentations which summarize procedures, study results, and data interpretation as needed
- Deliver high quality results in an accurate and a time sensitive manner
- Perform other activities per supervisor’s direction
- PhD (with 0-3 years of industrial experience), or Bachelor or MS (with 5-8 years related industrial experience) in Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering or other industry-relevant fields.
- Experience with nucleic acid based formulations, complex/nanoparticle formulations, working knowledge of tangential flow filtration.
- Hands on expertise working with liquid, frozen, and/or lyophilized dosage forms
- Preferred qualifications include but are not limited to familiarity with stages of drug product development and cGMP concept, knowledge of analytical methods for testing lipid nanoparticles and understanding of the in-vitro and in-vivo experiments used for screening of nanoparticle formulation.
- Must be highly motivated, well organized, an independent thinker with strong problem-solving skills, and pay great attention to details
- Comfortable working in a highly innovative and fast-pace environment and have a strong ability to cope with change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, great team player.
- Office/Lab environment. Lifting up to 50 pounds may be required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. They are required to stand, walk or sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
Associate Director, Formulations/Process Development
The Associate Director, Formulations Development will be responsible for designing, directing, planning, coordinating and troubleshooting all aspects of formulations development from early lead optimization to late stage development
- Serve as a scientific and technical leader in the organization with special emphasis on lipid nanoparticle-based drug delivery systems for nucleic acids
- Serve as a leader and mentor to a group of formulations and process development scientists.
- Design and direct development of lipid based nucleic acid formulations (liquid, frozen and lyophilized)
- Direct all aspects of formulation and process development from discovery to late stage development. Ensure successful scale up of formulation production and purification unit operations from bench scale to larger scale manufacturing, and lead tech transfer activities
- Design and direct studies aimed at in vitro and in vivo screening of formulations.
- Develop and/or contribute to development of analytical methods for physico-chemical characterization of drug product.
- Direct and manage formulation support for stability and bioevaluation studies for various projects
- Represent formulation development function in various project team meetings and contribute to overall project goals and deliverables
- Contribute to formulations/process development sections of regulatory filings (IND, NDA etc.)
- Review scientific literature, patents, scientific abstracts to stay up to date on latest in the field
- Demonstrate scientific excellence through filing patents and publishing scientific articles in peer reviewed journals
- Represent company at scientific conferences and meetings
- Perform other duties as necessary
- Must have a PhD in Chemistry or pharmaceutical sciences with more than 6 years of direct experience (may include PhD) in design and development of nanoparticle-based drug delivery systems for nucleic acids
- Expertise in developing liquid, frozen and lyophilized formulations of lipid based nucleic acid formulations
- Expertise and knowledge in scale up of formulation production and purification unit operations and tech transfer activities
- Must be an independent thinker with a passion for developing innovative formulation technologies.
- Must possess excellent scientific publication and patent record in the field of lipid nanoparticle based drug delivery systems.
- Must possess exemplary leadership and mentoring skills.
- Must possess in depth understanding of all aspects of formulation development as well as downstream characterization including physico-chemical, stability and biological evaluation.
- Strong background and expertise in designing in vitro and in vivo bio-evaluation assays for screening novel drug delivery systems is desirable.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of PK/PD aspects of lipid nanoparticle-based formulations is highly desired
- Experience in contributing to formulation and pharmaceutical development sections of regulatory filings is highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary for this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.